Information of the origins and meanings of names was received from the "Illustrated Album of Biography of Pope and Stevens Counties," 1888, having pages 145-364 for Pope county; and from Ole Irgens, county auditor, Casper T. Wollan, a pioneer merchant, and his brother, M. A. Wollan, president of the Pope County State Bank, each of Glenwood, the county seat, interviewed during a visit there in May, 1916.
CYRUS is the railway village of New Prairie township, platted in the spring of 1882.
FARWELL, a railway village in the northwest corner of Ben Wade township, platted in April, 1887, has a name that is borne also by villages in Michigan and Nebraska.
GLENWOOD township, on the southeast side of Lake Minnewaska, was named for the great glen or valley occupied by this lake and for the woods around its shores, contrasted with the prairies that form the far greater part of this county. The city of Glenwood, the county seat at the northeast end of the lake, in Glenwood and Minnewaska townships, first platted in part on September 26, 1866, was incorporated as a village February 23, 1881, and as a city in 1912. This name is borne also by cities in Wisconsin and Iowa, and by villages and townships in twenty other states.
GROVE LAKE township has Grove lake and McCloud lake near its south side, which are more fully noticed in the later part of this chapter.
LOWRY, a Soo railway village in the east edge of Ben Wade township, platted in March, 1887, was named in honor of Thomas Lowry, who was born in Logan county, Illinois, February 27, 1843, and died in Minneapolis, February 4, 1909. He was admitted to the bar in 1867, and in the same year came to Minnesota, settling in Minneapolis, where he practiced law and dealt in real estate; was president and principal stockowner of the company operating the street railways of Minneapolis and St. Paul, called the Twin City Rapid Transit Company.
SEDAN, a Soo railway village in the northwest corner of Bangor township, is named for a city of France, famous for the battle fought on September 1, 1870, between the Germans and the French, which resulted in the surrender of the French army, leading directly to the establishment of France as a republic.
STARBUCK, platted in the spring of 1882, is a village of the Northern Pacific railway, adjoining the western end of Lake Minnewaska.
TERRACE Is a village formerly called Chippewa Falls, in the township of that name, platted in June, 1871. The village is built on a terrace plain of the valley drift bordering both sides of the Chippewa river.
VILLARD, a village of the Northern Pacific railway in the east edge of Leven, platted in August, 1882, was named in honor of Henry Villard, who was born in Bavaria, April 11, 1835, and died at Dobbs Ferry, N. Y., November 12, 1900. He came to the United States in 1853; engaged in journalism, and in the management of railroads; and was president of the Northern Pacific railroad company in 1881-83, when the construction of its transcontinental line was completed. E. V. Smalley, in his History of this railroad, devoted two chapters (pages 245 276) to the very remarkable career of Villard, up to the time of its publication in 1883.
WESTPORT township and its railway village, which was platted in October, 1882, have a name that is borne by townships and villages in Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, Wisconsin, and ten other states.